A recent survey by CASE found 1/6 of the gold jewelery retailers not fulfilling the gold fineness standard and:
- Some retailers charge consumers for gold loss or manufacturing loss.
- Some retailers attribute extra charge for gold loss to manufacturing cost, passing it off as a legitimate cost.
- Most retailers display reluctance to give a breakdown of the total amount on the receipt. From our survey, a few retailers agreed to give a breakdown but scribbled it at the back of the receiptDaily gold prices were not standardised even though the gold articles were purchased on the same day. Labour cost, gold loss and gold price (per gram) varies from item to item.
- Most retailers did not weigh the gold articles unless requested to do so by our officers. Those retailers who weighed the gold articles included the tag to determine the weight.
- CASE found two shops with the SAO certification on the storefront selling pieces of jewellery that were not hallmarked.
- Consumers may be asked to pay an extra administrative fee if they choose an alternative payment mode by NETS or credit card instead of cash.
CASE also offered the following tips to consumers:
- Buy hallmarked jewelery articles. Hallmarked jewelery articles will have three marks stamped on each jewelery article – the SAO mark, standard mark and jeweler’s mark.
- Ensure the jewelery pieces are weighed in your presence and without the price tag.
- For errant retailers who weigh the jewelery articles with the tag and overcharge consumers, they would be in breach of the Weights and Measure Act, and consumers can take action against such retailers by reporting such unfair practices to SPRING Singapore.
- Insist for a detailed breakdown to be indicated on the receipt.
- Avoid jewelers that charge for gold loss as such practices work against the interest of consumers.
- Should retailers charge administrative or additional fees when consumers pay by NETS, consumers can report such retailers to NETS.
You may also like:
Implementing environmentally friendly practices at home can help families lower utility bills by over S$1,000 a year, said the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).If you have no idea what I'm ...READ MORE
Live in Kuala Lumpur but work in Singapore? Want to travel to KL via flight? I chanced upon this 5th million passenger promotion from Tiger Airways. $25 dollars only; you ...READ MORE
Boston Pizza Delivery Hotline Number: 6 2199 2192nd Pizza @ 1/2 Price for pizza of same or lower priceDelivery Time: 10:30am - 10:30pmDelivery charge: FREEDelivery Locations: CBD, Orchard Rd, ...READ MORE
Mygazines is a place to browse, share, archive and customize unlimited magazine articles uploaded by you, the Mygazines community.Mygazines is not just for magazines - you can upload catalogues and ...READ MORE
So upset when you heard Yahoo Auctions Singapore was closing down? Don't worry, Gmarket can help too. Gmarket launches marketplace service on Yahoo! Singapore as a new partner of Gmarket's ...READ MORE
Contest Grand PrizeA 5D/4N all-expenses paid trip to Australia's Gold Coast for 1 winner and 3 friends (inclusive of return flight on AirAsia X, ground arrangements, transfers, and accommodation).You can ...READ MORE
Tiger Airways Latest Offers Include Cheap Flight from
Read Your Favorite Magazines Online for FREE
Gmarket: the New Yahoo Auctions Singapore Site
Go Gold Coast Contest
Rite Pizza Singapore