If you are thinking about going away for a short holiday on Vesak Day with a friend or your love, Colombo, Sri Lanka Capital, is not a bad choice! Cathay Pacific offers this “Colombo Special” at only $499 for 2. Depart 16 May and return on May 20.
What can you do there?
- Savour local Sri Lanka delights such as appa (hoppers) and wattilappam (coconut milk pudding with Sri Lankan palm sugar). Don’t forget to sip a cup of tea afterwards.
- Head for the clean, sandy beaches at Mount Lavinia.
- Take a train to Kandy and head for the country’s premier hill resort – Nuwara Eliya, which happens to produce some of the best tea in the country.
- Visit Polonnaruwa where you can see Buddhas carved from a solid banded granite outcrop.
- Go diving at Yala Rock.
- Visit the Lionel Wendt Gallery for contemporary art.
- Hike along the Kandyan hills with lush tropical vegetation and farming villages, or catch the beautiful Ramboda Falls on the way to Nuwara Eliya.
- Go deep sea fishing off Bentota.
- Go birdwatching at Bundala National Park.
- If you’re travelling with your kids, bring them to the Railway Museum located at Fort Railway Station.
- Centour Travel: 6344 3492
- CTC Holidays: 6536 3345
- Euro-Asia Holidays 6339 9133
- Farmosa Holidays: 6534 1133