Anyone holding a driving licence issued by the competent authority of a foreign country other than Singapore may apply for conversion to a Singapore driving licence to drive the equivalent class of motor vehicle.
Foreign license conversion is only granted for class 2B and class 3 qualified driving licences. Learner driving licence may not be converted.
Those who wish to obtain a class 4 and/or class 5 licence need to go through training and a prescribed practical test before they can obtain the Singapore class 4 or 5 licence. No direct conversion is granted for these heavy vehicle licences.
Singaporeans and PRs Convert Driving License
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents must convert their foreign driving licence upon returning to Singapore and upon obtaining PR status respectively.
They may convert a foreign driving licence if they can show proof that they have reason to be staying in a foreign country for a period of 1 year or more due to study or work, and have a total stay of 6 months within the one year period.
New PRs who already have a 5-year Singapore driving licence will have to replace it with a lifetime driving licence that reflects their new NRIC number.
Foreigners Convert Singapore Driving License
A foreigner above 18 years old with a Work Pass, Dependent Pass, or Student Pass may drive in Singapore with a valid class 3, 3A or 2B foreign licence, for a period of not more than 12 months. A Singapore driving licence is required after 12 months.
People on short term social visit may drive with their foreign licence for up to 12 months each time they enter into Singapore. For licence not written in the English language, an International Driving Permit or translation is required as explained below.
Work Permit holders are not allowed to drive for work-related purposes unless the occupation stated in the Work Permit is as a “Driver”. S pass holders are allowed to drive for work-related purposes provided his/her occupation as stated in the S pass requires him/her to do so. Foreign drivers must have a valid driving license and comply with traffic regulations.
Classes of Driving Licence that May be Converted
Foreign licence conversion is only granted for class 2B and class 3 qualified driving licences. Learner driving licence may not be converted.
Driving License Conversion Procedure
In order to convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving license, you are required to pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT).
You may book for a BTT in person at any of the 3 driving schools. On passing the BTT you may then proceed to apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Driving Test Center counters in person, with the relevant documents. The 3 Traffic Police Driving Test Centers are co-located with the 3 driving schools.
Singapore Driving Schools
- Ang Mo Kio Driving Test Centre, level 3, co-located with the Singapore Safety Driving Centre at 3 Ang Mio Kio St 62 Industrial Park 3 Singapore 569139.
- Bukit Batok Driving Test Centre, level 2, co-located with the Bukit Batok Driving Centre at 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5 Singapore 659085.
- Kampong Ubi Test Centre, level 2, co-located with ComfortDelgro Driving Centre at 205, Ubi Ave 4 Singapore 408805.
Documents Needed for Driving License Conversion
- Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/Entry Permit/Employment Pass/Dependant Pass/Social Visit Pass/Work PermitOriginal and a photocopy of your valid Qualified Foreign Driving Licence
- Original and a photocopy of your valid Qualified Foreign Driving Licence
- Processing fee of $50 (Cashcard and NETS payment Only)
- One matt finish passport-size colour photograph with white background, eyes looking straight and both ears and eyebrow visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for a religious purpose, and glasses worn should not be tinted.
- For Malaysian licence holders, an extract from JPJ Malaysia showing information of your driving record and licence information (obtained not more than 6 months before date of conversion)
- For Singaporeansstudyingoverseas for one year or more, please produce proof of stay in the country, e.g. educational transcripts or Letter of Acceptance by the educational institution and the relevant student visa in the passport.
- For Singaporeansemployedoverseas for one year or more, please produce Income Tax Returns or supporting documents from employers and the relevant employment visa in the passport.
If you are 65 years old and above, you need to be certified fit to drive by a Singapore registered medical practitioner. The prescribed form for the medical certification can be obtained at all Traffic Police Driving Test Centre counters. Application for conversion has to be accompanied by a favorable medical report that is complete.